Sunday, June 21, 2009

Favorite Places

I have a lot of favorite places in this world and chances are if you ever travel with me you'll here me say (a lot) "I love this place." But I really do have some favorites and though I love many places, my heart really belongs to a few.

A list of a few favorites (my recommendations to you):

1)Baltimore, Maryland- amazing city. Has bounced back (and continues to do so) from destitution into a thriving tourist city centered around it's inner harbor. There's so much to see and do within the downtown area and hidden spots to check out all around the bay. Tour the baseball stadium, taste the crab at Obrycki's, gourge on great italian in Little Italy, drink orange crushes in Canton Square, shop in Federal Hill, go out in Fells Point, and experience culture on Mount Vernon. The people are friendly, young and down-to-earth, and the city's welcoming, affordable and accessible. Here are a few photos from a trip Memorial Day weekend.

The inner harbor from Federal Hill



The old power plant (view from the paddle boats)...


Memorial Day brunch with friends...



And if you're going to be in Baltimore, don't forget to check out Annapolis. The State Capital and one of the most quaint major cities I've ever seen. It's right on the coast, entirely walkable, and absolutely lovable. We also went in May...

2) The OuterBanks of North Carolina - My family had made this trek for 'Spring Break' every year for 10 years in a row. The groups grew and shrunk but probably averaged 15 people in a big beach house every year for a week. Life is simple on the islands. Pleasures come from time with family, lighthouses, sand crabs, wild horses, national parks, the Wright Brother's memorial and great southern bbq. I cherish more than a few great memories from my times on the shores there, and will return for many years to come.

3) Madrid, Spain- Don't even get me started here. I know I've referenced that I lived here for a few months before, and if you haven't checked out some of my thoughts from when I was there yet, you should. But I would argue, the pride, culture, food, people, beauty, history, and ammenities of this city, make it one of the best destinations you'll ever find. But be warned, you'll leave a little piece of your heart there if you go.




I'll continue my list of favorites again sometime soon, but those are definitely my top 3.

Enjoy your travels,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment