Sunday, May 31, 2009

Home

I'm an explorer. I like to feel engaged with the world. I enjoy the thrill of the adventure... even if the adventure that day is watching the sunset over my rooftop, even the world surrounding me everyday. I am a travel addict.

Thankfully I've found a job that allows me to travel often, to meet new people constantly, take a fair amount of vacation, and experience cultural pockets of our nation. I live in Syracuse, NY- a city I believe is rebounding from a bout with desparity. A rich history, of invention, creativity, central location has left its mark on the people here. They built big industry, Allied Chemical, the Crucible Steel Company, Syracuse China-- all of which have sadly come crashing down in recent years. But thankfully a new era is emerging- we've swept away the dust and dissapointment and are beginning to see growth once again... with the development of DestiNY USA, the Amos Project and partnerships in green technology, the Center of Excellence, and the Upstate Regional Alliance... we're pulling it together and we feel hope once again in our region.

I've called Syracuse home for 7 years now, and it's quickly becoming the longest 'home' I've had. I moved a few times as a child and came to Syracuse University at 18 to begin studying for a career as a journalist. Gradually I became very involved in many projects and student groups at Syracuse- causing me to have such a deep passion for the University, I couldn't leave at graduation. And thankfully- the University didn't want me to. I took a job with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as an Admissions Counselor and spent my first 18 months of my career life with a great group of people there.

All of this leads to explain my many influencers in my travel-bug desires- probably many of the same reasons for travel bug's desires to travel: My family's moves as a child and teenager allow me to have "homes" in different cities, I have Aunts and Uncles all over the states that called for frequent car trips throughout childhood... We in fact loved family vacations and would- at least a couple times a year- pack up the car and head somewhere both relaxing and educational- and often warmer than wherever we were living in the cold northeast... My junior year of High School was the first time I left the country- My family had friends living in Germany and we were able take a week to visit their home. Syracuse University also offered me some incredible travel opportunities- from a fantastic study abroad opportunity in Madrid, Spain, to some day trips to Lake Placid, and the Adirondacks- right in our backyard. I think it was the Madrid semester that really let me take off and claim an adventurer mindset as my own.

It was there that I gained a deep sense of the importance of cultural understanding, and through many mistakes and mishaps learned what it truly means to become yourself. I'm in no way an incredibly well traveled person- but I have had some cool opportunities and experiences- I've now visited most of the States, 8 European countries, Central America's El Salvador, and lived a stint one summer in Mexico. I speak Spanish... through many years of studying and still get caught up and frustrated... but it's enough Spanish to get by in most places.

I've got some good plans this summer, and I'm excited to begin to write once again. I hope you'll read with me, and most of all, I hope you'll share your own experiences with the places I'll visit.

~Julie


No comments:

Post a Comment