Saturday, July 4, 2009

New Places, Familiar Faces

I've visited the quaint Finger Lakes village of Skaneateles quite a few times, and love bringing out of town friends for a truely unique CNY experience.

I've eaten at many of the restaurants (Joe's Pasta Garage being my favorite by far), hung out in the park for caroling at Christmas times, and shopped at many of the quaint boutiques. But yesterday I experienced a Skaneateles that I hadn't yet.

Yesterday a group of 7 of us took a boat cruise on the lake... taking us around the northernmost tip of the lake. The tourguide (still in training, leaving a bit to be desired) shared the stories of the mansions and families that have given the lake such a majestic feel and reverance. The boat cruise was a great discovery- only happening in the summers and only $11 a person for the hour long cruise. (Though we also found coupons for buy-one-get-one-free rides.) Totally recommended.



We then drove down the west side of the lake on 41A to a brand new (has been officially open for tasting and testing for just a few months) winery called Anyelas. It's slowly becoming the talk of the town. The place is absolutetly beautiful, everything is new, trendy and fresh... and tastings are only $2 for 5 different wines. The whites were much better than the reds, but such is true for most vinyards in the fingerlakes. Definitely worth the 3-mile drive out of the village.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment